[TriLUG] TCP socket connections in Linux, gathering data from embedded device - - was WGET-LYNX??

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Fri Sep 24 17:16:44 EDT 2004

Turnpike Man [turnpike420 at yahoo.com] wrote:
> Ummmm... I guess I'm asking for a preference... however, I don't care, b/c I
> probably won't understand much of the programming in any of the
> languages to be perfectly honest with you.  I know I already have gcc,
> and C or C++ is probably easiest to share with a broader range of
> people and platforms, however, I could be completely wrong in that
> statement!

You're looking for a socket listener.  It's not something complex.  It
doesn't have to be optimized for performance.  It's a simple thing.  Do
it in a scripting language (perl/python) and it'll be easy to read and
understand, portable, and fast enough for you.

> I suppose I'm saying is if you are interested and wanna come play with this
> device and help me by writing a way to get the info from it, then share the
> code with the world for others to use, great!!  That's what I'm looking for.
> Some commradery and fun with linux and talking to an embedded device that does
> temp/humidity in my server room.

Get your company to pony up $50 and I guarantee you'll have three
different scripts to choose from in your email box in a few hours.

Mike
--
"Spare me your space-age technobabble Atilla The Hun!" --  Zapp Brannigan