[TriLUG] icmp as non-root (on Mandrake)

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 22:01:14 EDT 2004

> Please don't edit these files.  Besides changing msecs idea of defaults,
> you run the risk of having your modifications undone if you upgrade msec.
> Instead, you can add it to your local perm.local file in
> /etc/security/msec/perm.local.

A good practice, but in reality, with proper documentation,
modifications to any item are up to the site admins.  I cannot say
whether Tanner speaks from that view point or perhaps as a Mandrake
developer (volunteer or otherwise), but mods like this are common when
servers are for specific apps.  Just my perspective based on
experience...I've seen both done depending on a given organizations
policy.

> > Anyway... Thank God it's open source and we can easily change it to
> > match our needs!

Exactly.

MPF

P.S.  Don't waste the matches or lighter fluid on a flame.  See my Sep 25 post.