[TriLUG] Name-Based Virtual Hosting vs. GoDaddy, round 1

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Oct 1 13:41:22 EDT 2004

> Brian Henning wrote:
> >   The problem is, by the time the request makes it to my server, it's
just
> > "GET /" instead of "GET http://fully-qualified-url.org/" .  I've
discovered

> Do you have a proxy server involved?
>
> The reason that I ask is "GET /" is correct for a web server.  The longer
> version is what is sent by the browser to a proxy server.  The proxy
server
> then transforms that by removing the protocol and moving the host/domain
> the "Host" header before issuing the request to the destination server.

I wouldn't know the details of this..  From the sound of it, the answer is
no, there is no proxy involved.  But it could be that GoDaddy operates by
directing all the domains it sells to itself, and then proxying the requests
(I have no idea how GoDaddy actually operates; all I know is that it's not
plain DNS).  The symptom is the same, regardless--for whatever the reason,
my name-based virtual host is not getting the information it needs in order
to know which site to serve.  Whether it's supposed to glean that from an
http header or the body of the GET ought to be immaterial.  All I know is
that it doesn't work from a browser (i.e. I get the incorrect page), but if
I open a telnet session to port 80 of the correct IP address and type in GET
http://fully-qualified-url.org/, I get the correct page returned.

This has become academic, as the NPO has decided to shift the hosting of its
site elsewhere (which is fine with me!), but I would still like to know what
is going on here.

Thanks for all the input so far,
~Brian