[TriLUG] KDE, switching networks, delays starting apps

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Oct 12 16:41:57 EDT 2004

I have a weird one.  Maybe someone here knows what's going on.  This is
on a Dell laptop running Debian/sarge and KDE.  I boot into run level
2, log into a text based console and then "startx" to start X and KDE.

I can boot up at work.  Everything works fine.  When I get ready to go
home, I "ifdown eth0" and leave everything running.  When I get home,
I do a "ifup wlan0".  I get a new address, new DHCP, new domain, new
everything.

Thing is, now I have a 20-second delay every time I try to launch an
app... any app.  I can launch apps from the "kicker" task bar.  I can
launch them from the "start" menu.  I can even go to a konsole window
and type "vi /etc/motd".  In all cases, nothing happens for about 20
seconds, and then my app launches.

If I log in to another (text-based) virtual console, I can do the
"vi /etc/motd" and it runs immediately.  If I shut down KDE and restart
it, apps launch normally.

Why is this thing pausing for so long?  I can understand KDE apps
taking a long time, but "vi"????

Is there a way to tell KDE to "snap out of it -- you're at home and
not at work"???  The same thing happens if I boot up from home and
then switch to my work network.

Currently, I have to shut down KDE, and kill everything that I had
open.  :-(

Alan