[TriLUG] Linux on a Sparc 5

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Thu Oct 21 09:52:45 EDT 2004

Matt Frye [mattfrye at gmail.com] wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations on distro and what this machine could
> possibly be useful for.  Right now, it's just taking up space.  I have
> a monitor, kb, and mouse, and an audio cable even, so if anyone really
> wants this thing, I'd be willing to barter.  I just need to justify
> it's existence if I keep it.  Suggestions?

Might you consider OpenBSD or NetBSD?  I've been running an OpenBSD
firewall on a Sparc5 (75MHz) for years.  I've also had a Sparc5 (110MHz)
desktop that worked okay.  It's not going to run Mozilla, but Dillo
worked fine.

Mike
--
"Spare me your space-age technobabble Atilla The Hun!" --  Zapp Brannigan