[TriLUG] Apache + SSL +Virtual Hosts + Reverse Proxy

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Mon Oct 25 03:42:40 EDT 2004

The subject may have given away the problem.  Here's what I want to
accomplish:

Mandrake 10.0 Official web server, Apache 2.

1. I want my standard website to be accessible through both http://domain.com
and https://domain.com.

2. I want https://tivo.domain.com to act as a secure reverse proxy to my
Series 2 tivo, which I've obviously hacked.

3. I want https://ntop.domain.com to act as a secure reverse proxy to ntop's
web server, which is running on the same machine as apache.

Now that my wish list is out, here's what I did.  Prior to attempting to
achieve the second and third objectives, the first was working perfectly. I
then made entries like this in my apache config:

<VirtualHost *>
	ServerName ntop.domain.com
	ProxyRequests On
	ProxyPass / http://localhost:3000/
	ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:3000/
	<Location />
		AllowOverride AuthConfig
		Options FollowSymlinks
		Order allow,deny
		Allow from all
		AuthName "Restricted Access"
		AuthType Basic
		AuthUserFile "/path/to/file"
		<Limit GET>
		  require valid-user
		</Limit>
	</Location>
</VirtualHost>

I also took all of the existing <Directory> directives for my primary website
and put the whole thing in a <VitrualHost *> directive.

As it stands, objectives 2 and 3 work, but I broke objective 2.
https://domain.com works fine.  http://domain.com gives this result:

-------------
Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

    Hint: https://domain.com/

So, any thoughts?  I'm reading some things online that say it's not possible
to do SSL and virtual hosts, but I'm so close.

Thanks a ton,

Michael