[TriLUG] disabling screen blanking

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Oct 28 12:22:28 EDT 2004

I am running a small embedded Linux system that I build
completely from source.  It runs X11R6.7.0 (from x.org) on
a 640x480 LCD display.

Thing is, I can't seem to turn off the screen blanker.

When I start X, I issue the following three commands (in
xinitrc).

   /usr/X11R6/bin/xset s 0 0
   /usr/X11R6/bin/xset s noblank
   /usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off

This is what xset says:

   # /usr/X11R6/bin/xset q
   Keyboard Control:
     auto repeat:  on
     key click percent:  0
     LED mask:  00000000
     auto repeat delay:  660
     repeat rate:  25
     auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                           fadfffdfffdfe5ef
                           ffffffffffffffff
                           ffffffffffffffff
     bell percent:  50
     bell pitch:  400
     bell duration:  100
   Pointer Control:
     acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
   Screen Saver:
     prefer blanking:  no
     allow exposures:  yes
     timeout:  0    cycle:  0
   Colors:
     default colormap:  0x20
     BlackPixel:  0
     WhitePixel:  65535
   Font Path:
     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
     /usr/j2re1.4.2_05/lib/fonts/
   DPMS (Energy Star):
     Server does not have the DPMS Extension
   Font cache:
     Server does not have the FontCache Extension

After twenty minutes of inactivity, the screen is blanked.
I can press a key or touch the touch screen and the display
returns to normal.  As the display is coming back on, I
can see the X-windows screen saver for a split second.  It
looks like a tricuit-weave background with a big X on it.

We are not using a window manager or a desktop, so that's
not it.

Before you suggest "use the source, Luke", I'd like to
avoid that if possible.  It's much easier to maintain
the system without little source mods here and there.
However, if there are configuration options I can provide
to X11R6.7.0 before building, that would be OK.

What am I missing?  And why is it 20 minutes?

Alan