[TriLUG] OOOOTTTT: Known Sprint/Zyxel 645R Issue?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Oct 28 13:43:54 EDT 2004

> I have one of these units at a remote location at the Outer Banks

Yeah, I remember explaining how to switch to bridge mode a month or two ago.
Good luck with that.  It's been working fine for me so far, aside from these
lockup problems (which, from what I hear, existed before the switch to
bridge mode).

> Does this unit support syslog?  I would imagine that you may be able to
> syslog
> back to your linux server then look to see if something odd was sent out
> just
> before lockup.  Also, can you ping the device or nmap it using TCP or UDP?

I'm not sure I have that kind of access into it without rewiring my network,
since I have:
network <-> Cisco firewall <-> 645R in bridge mode
Other than rewiring my network to bypass the firewall, I don't know how to
get into the modem's config interface.

I'm starting to think I might need to build a watchdog timer...  if periodic
pings to outside servers fail repeatedly, click a relay and power-cycle the
thing...  A fun idea for the electronics hobbyist in me, but not a very
elegant solution.

Any further insights will of course be appreciated.

Cheers,
~Brian