[TriLUG] Samba Printing Help

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Fri Oct 29 20:05:46 EDT 2004

Brian,

	Do you have to use SAMBA, as was mentioned about one config recently
that was the other direction, SAMBA and printing is a PITA.  If you can
use LPR printing for the apps in question you are much more likely to
have success.   You will need to install tcp printing on your XP system,
but after that it should be a piece of cake.  From system-config-printer
you just tell it to use the computer name of the xp box, assuming you
have DNS, or the IP address if not, where it asks for server, and then
the queue name where it says port.

I believe that this configuration will work just fine, and cause you
fewer headaches.  It should be transparent to your Linux apps, as well
as Windows ones.

Good luck,

	Kevin

--