[TriLUG] Samba Printing Help

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Oct 29 10:56:51 EDT 2004

Hi Guys,
  I'm trying to map a printer that's shared from an XP-Pro box, on our FC2
linux server (so that I can print faxes received by mgetty).  I have Samba
working, at least in the direction of mapping shares that are hosted on the
Linux box.  Problem is, I can't seem to go back the other way; I can't get a
working connection to any resources hosted on our XP machines.
  Going through system-config-printers worked reasonably well, when I
supplied an IP instead of the Windows name of the computer with the printer,
up until the point of printing a test page.  Here's what the error log said:
E [29/Oct/2004:10:38:20 -0400] [Job 1] Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will
retry in 60 seconds...ERROR:  Connection failed with error
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Output of smbclient -L isn't all-systems-normal either, and looks like this:

[brian at mail-serv cups]$ smbclient -L 192.168.1.33
Password:
Domain=[D80HM141] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        share           Disk
        ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
        C$              Disk      Default share
session request to 192.168.1.33 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
Domain=[D80HM141] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

I'm not specifying any password when prompted, because the target host
doesn't have any set.  (Don't blame me, it's not my doing!...)  I never have
to supply a username or password when mapping the printer on other XP boxen.
So...  Something's obviously amiss here.  Could it be a Samba
misconfiguration?  I also get reports of problems contacting the domain
master browser in Logwatch, but we're not even running a domain.  It is also
entirely possible that all of our XP boxen have their network name settings
stupidly configured; it was way before I ever arrived here and I wouldn't be
surprised if the person who did it had no clue what he was doing.  I find it
strange that the hostname (D80HM141) shows up as "Domain=".

Thanks as always for all the help!

Cheers,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning