[TriLUG] OT: battery charger voltages - using 18V charger on16Vsystem

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Tue Nov 2 09:58:58 EST 2004

Christopher L Merrill wrote:

> Joseph Mack wrote:
> > I have an IBM thinkpad with a 9 cell (nominal 10.8V) Li-ion battery.
> > The charger is nominally 16.8V charger (measured 16.0V).
>
> Is it a standalone charger?  Or are you referring to the AC adapter?

hmm, the label says "AC adapter". I'm not up with the nomenclature, sorry.

it's a box that sits on the table and plugs into the 120V and one end
and had a cylindrical plug on the other end that plugs into the laptop.

> If the answer to the above is the AC adapter, then what makes you
> think that the battery is being charged at 16V?

I quoted the open circuit voltage. I have no idea of the internal
impedance.

Joe
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov