[TriLUG] OT: battery charger voltages - using 18V charger on16Vsystem

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Tue Nov 2 10:23:46 EST 2004

Joseph Mack wrote:
> hmm, the label says "AC adapter". I'm not up with the nomenclature, sorry.
>
> it's a box that sits on the table and plugs into the 120V and one end
> and had a cylindrical plug on the other end that plugs into the laptop.

The notebook probably has internal circuitry to monitor the battery
and regulate the charging voltage.  This would be the charging system.
So in this case, they are not the same - which is why the AC adapter
can be 16-18V for a 10.8V battery without overcharging it.

So back to your original question - you would _probably_ be ok with
the 18V charger...but assuming the notebook is fairly expensive, I
would not risk it.  I rely on my notebook daily...so I'm extra careful.

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.           |  http://www.webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software