[TriLUG] getting rid of stuff

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Thu Nov 18 13:24:48 EST 2004

I used to burn new EPROMs for the C-64 and VIC-20 motherboards and
use them for controllers for automated systems (like radio station
electronics and retail store HVAC systems) and home automation
controllers.  It turns out that at that time you could do more with
the I/O chips than dedicated PLC's, and the on-board "Sprite" chip
offered better video overlay effects for both radio studio displays
and for electronic classroom work.  New cases that securely mounted
the motherboards and connectors that interfaced the edge connectors
was all you needed.  These boards did their own keyboard scanning,
which could be easily be used by control buttons for video editing,
radio device buttons (remote play-record-ff-rewind-pause for tape
decks, start/stop for turntables and cart machines, electronic
patch panel controls and more) and home lighting control buttons.

I used to know someone recently that had a C-64 emulator running in
Linux, and he used to copy the cartridge ROM's byte-for-byte and run
them on the emulator.  He also could handle some C-128 code as well
(a dual processor version with a 6800 series and a Z-80 on board).

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA