[TriLUG] Job at Google, in California or Ireland

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 15:08:00 EST 2004

As a veteran of the Google interview process (yes, believe it or not,
I said 'no, thanks')*, I agree with Jon Carnes on the key criteria.
In my own case, it seemed that being able to solve a problem wasn't
nearly as important as solving it in some different and perhaps more
inventive way.  As a professional sysadmin, I saw that Google was
asking me to program around a problem that really just needed to be
fixed.  Sure, it could have been a test of my scripting/regex skills,
but I didn't need Google to validate that.
It felt like Google was really just looking for was "really, really
wants to work for me" with a sprinkling of "cool enough."

* Not self-righteous, just hate moving.

--
Matt Frye
mattfrye.net