[TriLUG] External USB enclosures, CD-Roms and the linux..

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Mon Nov 22 08:39:26 EST 2004

john broome wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience using a roll-your-own external cdrom with
> linux?
>
> I noticed a serious price difference between getting a usb enclosure and
> using one of my cd-roms vs. buying one pre-made and I was wondering if
> there was an advantage to the more expensive version.

I tried to use an external usb/firewire enclosure designed for a CDROM,
as a harddisk enclosure. I got a lot of errors writing to the disk.
Don't know how it works with a CDROM inside.

http://www.austintek.com/usb_firewire_disk/usb_firewire_disk.html

Joe

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov