[TriLUG] Simpler image manipulation program

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 23 15:57:26 EST 2004

Robert Ryals wrote:
> Brian Henning wrote:
>
> > Hey LUGgers,
> >  Just wanting some recommendations for a simple linux image
> > manipulation program that can do cropping and resizing..  Doesn't need
> > to be much more powerful than that.  I'm trying to convert one of our
> > users to a Linux desktop environment, and don't want to possibly
> > confuse him with the complexities of the Gimp.  He's eager to give
> > Linux a try, but the less extra training I have to give him, the
> > better (of course).
> >
> > So.  Anybody have any favorites?
> >
> ImageMagick is pretty popular, the command name is called convert.  Lots
> of options for resizing, adding text, etc.

ImageMagick also has a program called 'display' which has the functions
your user needs.  Unlike 'convert', which is a command line driven
program, 'display' has a simple GUI menu driven interface which makes it
easier to use for individual images.  On the other hand, if your user
needs to process a bunch of images in a similar way, building a script
around 'convert' would be the way to go.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-8909
North Carolina State University     |	http://www.xray.ncsu.edu
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204