[TriLUG] Debian netinstall somehow broken...

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Nov 24 14:35:27 EST 2004

Hi y'all,
  After being really impressed by the latest Knoppix and having its
hard-disk installation fail, and being somewhat disenfranchised with the
direction that Red Hat has taken, I've started trying to install Debian on a
box here.  I was informed in the trilug irc channel that a network install
would be the best way to go, only downloading the packages I actually
needed..   Sounded good.  So I went and fetched the idepci netinst boot CD
image from here:
http://people.debian.org/~blade/boot-floppies/cvs/
unzipped it, burned it, booted the installer.  No problems.

So I get to the point of installing the kernel.  The installer fetches what
looks like the rescue floppy image, and a tarball of something or other (I
didn't note the name...had something to do with drivers, I think).  So I
encounter the following sequence of events:

"Next: Configure Device Driver Modules"  <enter>

"Note about loaded drivers:.....<Continue>" <enter>

"Problem: No modules were found in /target/lib/modules/2.2.22-idepci that
could be configured. Please install the kernel modules first, by running the
'Configure Device Driver Modules' step.  <Continue>" <enter>

And then I am right back to the "Next: Configure Device Driver Modules"
menu.  It's telling me to "do this first" but "this" is exactly what I am
trying to do..  Anyone with some help?  I'd really appreciate it.  If it
means using a different CD image, that's no problem.  It's i386 hardware, by
the way.

Thanks a bunch,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning