[TriLUG] gps solution (Moving further OT)

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 15 16:45:50 EST 2004

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Look into Viking.  It will let you overlay tracks on both aerial and
> topo maps downloaded from the net.  You'll probably also need
> GPSBabel (I think that's the right name) to download the tracks
> from your GPSr to the linux box.  If I recall correctly, Viking loads
> the GPSBabel files directly.
>
> Viking: http://gpsmaps.org/viking/
> GPSBabel: http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

Thanks Tanner, I'll have to try Viking.  I own the same GPS.

Michael:  So far I have used the National Geographic Topo! maps for NC,
but they do not run on Linux.  It is a nice package, but expensive.  It
will plot an elevation profile of your track, if you find those useful.
  I use it to plot MTB trails and hikes, and find that its resolution is
just fine enough for this purpose.

I've also experimented with DeLorme Street Atlas, but it has the same
limitation regarding OS support.  It also did not plot my tracks as
accurately as Topo.  The tracks are a few hundred feet to the East of
where they should be.

You may be interested in downloading map data to your Legend at some
point.  It's capable of providing a lot more information than the base
map.  Mine did not come with a Map data CD-ROM.  Unfortunately Garmin's
map data format is nonstandard, so to the best of my knowledge you need
to purchase their own data CDs.

I'm using their USA Metroguide CD and find it adequate for locating
roads and a smattering of POIs, even in rural areas.  Note that with 8
MB of RAM, you have to be selective about what you download.

If you find some useful freeware, please pass the word.

--
Scott C.