[TriLUG] Strange happenings are afoot at the up2date..

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Dec 15 16:22:38 EST 2004

Hi All,
  Today as I was running up2date --nox -u, all of a sudden scads of error
messages started scrolling by, and the main jist of them all was that
(seemingly) the root filesystem had suddenly, magically switched to being
read-only.  Furthermore, I couldn't ^C or switch terminals (I was at the
local console).  I ended up finally Ctrl-Alt-Deleting the thing, and many
more error messages scrolled past as the machine attempted to shut
everything down.
  Upon bootup, it went into maintenance mode, and there were a bunch of
orphaned and/or deleted inodes it had to fix on /..  So my question is,
certainly this isn't normal, but is there a more-or-less simple explanation
of why that might happen?  Everything seems to be back up normally now, with
the presumed exception of the files that formerly held those inodes (which
all seemed to be kde docs, so no big loss there).

If it matters, the packages being updated were concerning kde.

Thanks y'all..
~Brian

P.S.  Anyone with any comments on my earlier RAID question?  Seems a little
sensitive for just a TIAS...

Brian A. Henning
Strutmasters.com
866.597.2397