[TriLUG] Strange happenings are afoot at the up2date..

Kevin Sonney ksonney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 20:02:50 EST 2004

Hi Brian -

The times I have seen similar errors (although not only with up2date -
many types of disk I/O have triggered this) it meant that too many
disk errors were detected, that the filesystem has been switched to
read-only mode to prevent further errors, and you really aught to do
more than fsck - in all of the cases I've seen, it was an early
indicator of a disk that was about to go to the repair shop in the
sky.

In other words, that the disk is going bad, and your best course of
action is to back up now and replace it before you lose data.