[TriLUG] Backing up mail and MySql

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 08:48:00 EST 2004

> > 2) MySql - I've got a few web apps which are using MySql databases.
> > Everythings in MyIsam format. I figure that I'll periocally back these
> > up to a directory using something like the mysqlhotcopy script, and
> > then let rsbackup take incremental backups from there.
> >
> > Any comments or advice?
>
> Follow the directions: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Backup.html

There's also a fairly elegant method of doing selective backups on
MySql using PHP, which is presented in the November issue of Sysadmin
magazine.  I used to do full dumps all the time, but this new method
allows me to restore parts of the database, i.e. specific tables,
while the db is still up.  It's also useful for "high traffic"
databases.

MPF