[TriLUG] Mandrake frustrations

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sun Dec 26 22:24:06 EST 2004

On Sunday 26 December 2004 22:13, William Sutton wrote:
> Hmmm...I have learned at least one something (configuring printing)
> from this.  Thank you for enlightening me on your observations of the
> various idiosyncracies.
>
> Since I don't have a spare Linux system running that I can do a
> network install from, I'm afraid that I don't have that option.  I do
> have a question though:  If I was able to download the iso images,
> mount them via loop, ls them, umount them, burn them to disc, and
> perform an install using them, does that imply that the images
> downloaded completely and correctly?  It would seem that if something
> was left out then it wouldn't...
>
> Also, RE my missing CD devices, any ideas on what to do about them?
> At the moment I am planning YAI (yet another install) for tomorrow
> (hey, practice makes perfect ;) )
>
> Most helpful you are Mr. Tower, yes!
>
> William

no clue what /dev/sr0 is supposed to be (scsi removable?  could it be a
cdrw being treated as a scsi device?)  check /etc/fstab on the system,
maybe that will give you a hint.

an md5sum is the typical way to see if a downloaded ISO is correct.  a
partially bad image can still be loopback mounted, so that won't tell
you much.

welcome you are :-)

jason