[TriLUG] Mandrake frustrations

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 27 09:02:07 EST 2004

On Monday 27 December 2004 01:24 am, William Sutton wrote:
> Add another couple frustrations to my list:
> - I switched my KVM to my Windows system (Belkin OmniCube 4-port) to play
> a little relaxing Minesweeper.  When I switched back to the Mandrake
> system, the mouse pointer started flickering all over the screen left- and
> right-clicking like nuts...couldn't get it back short of rebooting.

I have a KVM switch, and often experience the symptom you describe. To get a
surefire startup, I try to start my Linux box with power to the Windows box
totally off. If the Windows box has power (whether running or not), I
occassionally get the same symptom you experienced.

Try backing up your XF86Config-4 file, then booting from a Knoppix CD, then
copying its XF86Config-4 file to your Mandrake box, and rebooting to
Mandrake. I think you'll find your mouse problems go away.

Particularly, I use protocol Auto instead of protocol PS/2. Auto is more
likely NOT to display the symptom you mention. However, be aware that with
protocol Auto, you'll need to slowly move the mouse for about 5 seconds
before it will begin to respond.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG