[TriLUG] linksys WRT54G router question

Alan Dipert ad at neologic.net
Sat Jan 1 19:17:35 EST 2005

Greg,
I'm an avid 54G tinkerer.  It's possible to monkey with the Linux that
the WRT54G is shipped with, but I use OpenWRT.  Though I can't answer
your second question, I can tell you there exists cron and an optional
DHCP server.  I can also tell you that there may exist an OpenWRT
package for software that does what you need it to do.  If there isn't,
and you'd like to get your hands dirty, you can start cross-compiling
just about any Linux software for your router once you've got a working
firmware.

I've dealt with the most with OpenWRT, a minimal Linux install that
uses the multi-binary 'busybox', the 2.4 kernel, and the 'ipkg'
packaging system.  It's pretty incredible, but lacks as comprehensive
an HTTP interface as the stuff Linksys has on there by default.
However, you seem pretty comfortable with the command line so you'll be
happy to know that once your firmware is upgraded you can telnet in,
install SSH, kill telnet, SSH in, and run whatever the hell you want.

Pertinent link: http://www.openwrt.org/

BTW, this is my first time posting.  I'm in Fayetteville and hope to
make it up for a meeting next month.  Good luck with the router.

Alan