[TriLUG] Upgrades, mailservers and decisions, oh my!

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 14:07:42 EST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:51:30 -0500, Tanner Lovelace
<clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings everyone,
>
> However, switching to Cyrus would have several changes that
> users would notice.  Here they are:
>
> 1. In our current IMAP server setup, you can have folders at the
> same level as INBOX.  Under Cyrus all folders must be "under"
> INBOX.

This is easily tweaked by using "INBOX." (note the trailing dot) as
the "IMAP server directory" on the client end.  I'm not sure if that
can be changed as part of the server provided namespaces however.

> 2. In our current IMAP server, a folder can either contain messages
> or other folders.  In Cyrus a folder main contain both.
> 3. The Cyrus server would support public folders (i.e. we could
> direct the trilug mailing list to a public imap folder and give people
> access to it.
> 4. Procmail and Cyrus can coexist, but it is a hack and we would
> probably want to encourage people to move from procmail to sieve.
> (This probably wouldn't be as bad as it sounds, though, since
> procmail with our current server is also a hack, and one based
> on an original hack for Cyrus.)

SIEVE is pretty nice, and there's a useful plugin to Squirrelmail to
configure it.  Configuring it via commandline isn't for the feint of
heart though.  I will say it's much easier to configure than the
cryptic procmailrc.  I'd suggest going with sieve, but I'm one of the
.forwarders: I don't use trilug IMAP.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com