[TriLUG] Upgrades, mailservers and decisions, oh my!

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jan 6 09:06:21 EST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> However, switching to Cyrus would have several changes that
> users would notice.  Here they are:
>
> 1. In our current IMAP server setup, you can have folders at the
> same level as INBOX.  Under Cyrus all folders must be "under"
> INBOX.
> 2. In our current IMAP server, a folder can either contain messages
> or other folders.  In Cyrus a folder main contain both.
> 3. The Cyrus server would support public folders (i.e. we could
> direct the trilug mailing list to a public imap folder and give people
> access to it.
> 4. Procmail and Cyrus can coexist, but it is a hack and we would
> probably want to encourage people to move from procmail to sieve.
> (This probably wouldn't be as bad as it sounds, though, since
> procmail with our current server is also a hack, and one based
> on an original hack for Cyrus.)

I would prefer to have procmail still available.  My procmailrc is 295
lines long; I do a LOT of things with it.

The INBOX. prepend to the IMAP namespace for folders seems like a decent
workaround, as all of my folders are at the top level, none are
"underneath" INBOX (since you can't even do that with UW-IMAP).

Jeremy