[TriLUG]Open-Source Antivirus Solutions

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue Jan 4 14:19:14 EST 2005

On Tue, January 4, 2005 11:38 am, Brandon Newport said:
> As the ClamAV project is fairly large and they (and their community)
> have been
> given credit for finding and naming many of the viruses in 2004 I
> would highly
> recommend them.  I am using ClamAV for several email gateways I have
> installed
> for clients and none of them report any email based viruses in the
> past year.
> I think that is pretty good track record.  I trust them for my clients
> and use
> it myself for email.  I am getting ready to use their samba plugin
> soon.
>
> -brandon
>
> Brian Henning (brian at strutmasters.com) wrote:
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>   What's the general consensus of the list around F/OSS antivirus
>> solutions?
>> I have a knee-jerk premonition that F/OSS a/v somehow doesn't
>> provide as
>> strong or complete (or up-to-date) protection as a commercial
>> package, but I
>> don't have any real reason to maintain that opinion..  Which is why
>> I ask.
>> Is there any sense to my reservations?  Will I get as good
>> protection on my
>> mission-critical servers from something like ClamAV as I would from
>> package like Norton AV Corporate?
>>
>> Thanks for the input!
>>
>> ~Brian
>>
>> ----------------
>> Brian A. Henning
>> Strutmasters.com
>> 866.597.2397
>> ----------------

I have ClamAV running on a couple of boxes and it seems to be pretty
decent.  Clamav does not have the virus database size that commercial
vendors do, but what they lack seems to be old viruses.  They seem to
be very current on viruses that came out after ClamAV's inception.
Plus the are working on detecting spyware as well now.  The problem
with Clam AV on windows - Clamwin, is that it currently does not do on
access scanning, so it is only usefull for nightly scans.  Probably
not what you want for your W2K3 server.  I would recommend going with
a commercial AV scanner for W2K3 server.

Also why does quickbooks need W2K3, we run peachtree 2005 here and it
only needs a mapped drive.

Matt Pusateri