[TriLUG] Backup on USB HD lost

Victor Snesarev vnsnes at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 08:33:55 EST 2005

I was overhauling a server at home, so I backed up all needed data onto
a USB-connected hard-drive. I checked that everything I needed was on
that drive, and proceeded to install Slackware formatting all the drives
except the USB-connected HD.

When Slack was up and running I mounted the USB drive with

mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive

and the backed up data is gone. There is a lonely "lost+found" directory
and that is it.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I thought the USB drive was formatted
with XFS:

mount -t xfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive

returned an error saying "wrong fs type, bad option" etc. The
auto-detect thought it was ext3.

Does anyone know what could've happened and what to do about this? I am
running "foremost" now on the drive that was formatted during Slack
install, but I doubt I can get all my data back that way.

-Victor