[TriLUG] Backup on USB HD lost

Victor Snesarev vnsnes at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 13:19:16 EST 2005

Thinking about this more, I think I know what happened.

Last time I rebooted the server, the USB drive was off, so it was not
automounted even though there is an entry in /etc/fstab. When I turned the
drive on, I didn't mount it manually. So, when I started copying files to
/mnt/usbdrive, I was actually copying them from one place on an internal HD to
/mnt/usbdrive on the same HD and no info was actually written to the USB HD
because it was not mounted to that directory. Of course, when the internal HD
was formatted during Slack install, /mnt/usbdrive was formatted along with it.
Doh!

Keeping my fingers crossed for "foremost" ability to recover files.

--- Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I would have done (which isn't much consolation now) is unmount
> the usb drive after backing up and then remount it again there (or better
> yet on another computer) to verify that the backup worked.

Amen, brother! Thanks.

-Victor