[TriLUG] key mapping / Ctrl+Shift+6

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Tue Jan 18 11:02:52 EST 2005

I don't know beans about this - or even if I'm using the right terminology.
I hope someone can point me toward greater light and knowledge.

I am using gnome terminal in order to telnet into a Cisco router.  Once
there, I may be inclined, from time to time, to press the combination
Ctrl+Shift+6.  However, this key combination yields nothing when using gnome
terminal.  To get the desired results I must use the combination
Ctrl+Shift+1, then release the 1 and press E while still holding down the
Ctrl+Shift.

Now this is fine for me, but certain lesser mortals seem to generate smoke
from their ears when asked to press a 1 followed by an E.

Is there any way to teach gnome terminal, or the OS, that Ctrl+Shift+6 is
short for Ctrl+Shift+1E ???

I have found that Konsole behaves itself just fine, but its a bit more of a
hog than gnome terminal.  RXVT won't work for me since it won't give me a
menu based cut and paste.  Are there any other suggestions for a telnet
window with a menu based cut and paste which support Ctrl+Shift+6 ? ?