[TriLUG] Cyrus IMAP HowTo

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 09:08:55 EST 2005

Generally, with a closed box system like Cyrus, you shouldn't be copying
the files directly to the directory their in.  In addition to the
files themselves,
Cyrus has indices of everything there.  If those indices aren't there, it won't
show the files.  Based on that, I'd suggest, if you can, transfering your
files using imap instead of directly.  I've used a script called "imapsync"
very successfully to transfer several gigabytes of mail data from a WU-IMAP
server to a Cyrus server.

If you can't use imap to transfer the files, you might try this.  No guarantees
that it will work.

Try running "cyradm --user username imap.server.com" (filling in appropriate
values, of course).  From there, type the command "reconstruct" (I don't
think you give it any parameters, but check the help just to be sure).  I
believe that *should* rebuild the indices but if your files aren't correctly
setup (Cyrus uses MH mail format, *not* Maildir) you may be out of luck.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Tanner

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:25:34 -0500 (EST), Jeff Groves
<jgroves at krenim.org> wrote:
> I just upgraded(?) my Red Hat 7.1 machine to Fedora Core 2, and have been
> fighting with Cyrus IMAP ever since then.
>
> I've worked my way from zilch to being able to log on and see that I have
> folders but no email in the folders.
>
> I found a collection of perl scripts that I attempted to modify to migrate
> my folders and email from my mail format the pine and Washington IMAP
> could read to the Cyrus IMAP incarnation.  Unfortunately, I've only gotten
> to the point where I can get it to create the folder and import the mail
> messages in to the correct directory, but Cyrus refuses to acknowledge
> that there are any messages there.
>
> If anyone has a HowTo for Cyrus IMAP that is more informative than the
> pathetic ones that I've found by Googling, I'd appreciate seeing it.
>
> This is for my and my wife's personal email usage and I'm not making any
> money off of this gig... just trying to get out of the dog house for
> "breaking" the email.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff G.
>
> ========