[TriLUG] Resizing partition with ext3 file system

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 22:22:01 EST 2005

I was going the other way. I made the partition bigger but kept it at
the same starting cylinder. As I understood it all the partition table
does is define where the partition starts and ends, and some other
attributes like whether it's bootable or not. The data isn't changed.
The filesystem formatting is all relative to the starting cylinder of
the partition.

I still don't know what happened.

Before I had this:

/dev/hdc1 start=x, end=y
/dev/hdc2  start=y+1, end =z
freespace start=z+1, end=end of disk

after fdisk I had
/dev/hdc1 start=x, end=y
/dev/hdc2  start=y+1, end =end of disk

then I did the resize2fs, and all hell broke loose.