[TriLUG] Multiple wireless access points

sjackson at radarfind.com sjackson at radarfind.com
Thu Jan 27 18:04:39 EST 2005

OK.  You can do any of several things:

1.  Wait for products using the new chipset from WiDeFi
http://www.widefi.com to come out, and that will solve this common
problem ... Or

2.  Increase the attenuation between your two APs such that the portable
PC will 'see' only one and force a reassociation, ... Or

3.  Manually force the reassociation on the PC side ... Or

4.  Write a script that periodically bonks the association table in the
AP, if that command is available via SNMP in your AP ... Or

5.  Convert to APs that have a negotiating-association feature such as
AutoCell from  http://www.propagatenet.com/product/index.html ; an
example of a very good AP that does this is the Netgear WG302 :
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG302.php ... Or

6.  Install directional antennas .. Or

7.  Use just one AP but modify it for more range (I'm an RF guy so I
find this easy, but others may not) ...

  I could go on.  There are LOTS of ways to solve this problem.  It all
depends on how thorough a job you want to do, how much effort/$$, etc.

Cheers
Steve Jackson
RadarFind
RTP