[TriLUG] Kernel Panics.......

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Feb 2 08:45:43 EST 2005

Hi Guys and Gals,
   I have a production server that has been kernel-panicking with very
aggrivating regularity over the past week.  I took out what I thought
was a RAM module with a bad spot in it yesterday, but that did not
prevent another panic from occurring sometime before 8am this morning.
Unfortunately I don't have the exact message in front of me (I know, I
should have written it down...), but it was a whole screenful of almost
identical messages, which boiled down to something about "spin_lock" and
"already locked by /some/thing/timer.h" (or maybe timer.c...I forget).

Can someone verify if that's caused by a particular sort of hardware
failure?  This server was built from aging parts.  I suspect perhaps
another bad spot in RAM or a hard drive headed for failure, but I don't
really want to keep taking shots in the dark if there's something else
at work here that someone can identify.

Maybe a kernel bug?  Oh yes, here are the system stats:
CPU: P-III 850MHz
Kernel: 2.6.10-1.9_FC2
Crucial services:
   MySQL-3.23.58-9.1
   dovecot-0.99.10.5
   apache-2.0.51-2.9
   sendmail-8.12.11-4.6
   openssh-3.6.1p2-34
   samba-3.0.10-1.fc2
and other things here and there that I'm sure I'm forgetting.  I'm going
to try downgrading the kernel by a build or two while I await expert

Thanks a ton!
~Brian