[TriLUG] Gentoo Install Problem

Randy Barlow rpbarlow at eos.ncsu.edu
Sat Feb 5 22:40:09 EST 2005

Hi all,

    I am reinstalling my Gentoo (2004.3) system.  I just got to the reboot
stage of the install, and I have it starting up OK (or so it seems).  The
problem is that it won't let me log in with 'root' and the password that I
distinctly remember setting.  I just get a "log in incorrect" message every
time I log in.

    I tried to chroot into the partition using the boot cd and re running
the passwd utility, and it seemed to work (as in, it didn't give me any
error messages).  I've actually tried this twice and still no luck.  Any
ideas?

Randy Barlow
rpbarlow at ncsu.edu