[TriLUG] yet another theoretical question

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 10 22:21:04 EST 2005

The topic this time: small laptops.  Very small.  Tiny.

My latest project has me traveling all over the great beyond doing
large network migrations and I have to travel with a company standard
image laptop.  The word on the street is it is very unwise, and may be
a career limited move, to load non-standard software.

Okay, so there it is.  No problem.

Only I need Linux and my standard network migration toolsets of the
following: nmap, mysql, php, perl, ssh, telnet (darn those old
routers), and a few other tools, but not many.

I am looking for a small, make that microscopic, laptop which has the
above tools plus a SSH server as well lightweight PHPable web server.
The laptop doesn't need to be fast, just small.  As small as possible.
I'd like to plug it into the network and have the web and SSH servers
come online.  Then I can ssh in and do my dirty work.

The Sharp SL-C700 (http://www.dynamism.com/zaurus/) is the right size,
but I'm not sure it can do what I want.

Luggers, what are your thoughts?

..... back to a West Coast conference call with some weird-ass island
in the middle of the Pacific... love the follow the sun work! :)

Greg