[TriLUG] TriLUG Archive Searching

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 09:40:15 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:06:22 -0800 (PST), Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> The nice thing about the HTDig searches is that you could use them on
> "private" lists - or on sites that Google doesn't rank very highly
> (TriLUG's web pages rank very high).

Good point about private archives.  It can take a lot of disk space, though.
At one point we tried to upgrade to a newer version of htdig and it
promptly went and completely overflowed the disk partition.  Now, I
wouldn't be at all surprised if that could be blamed on my lack of
experience in configuring it, but it is something to watch out for.

> Also HTDig can find/index local items that are not advertised normally
> via the web. It's a cool tool and the integration with mailman is done
> by some very nice folks - Barry trusts them, I trust them, so grab your
> Mailman updates from them and never hassle with patches.

That would work if we didn't add other patches and require that
mailman be packaged with the system packaging facility (currently
rpm).  But, as long as you don't mind installing from source and
you can keep track of things, sure, go for it.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace