[TriLUG] Verizon DSL

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Feb 18 12:43:20 EST 2005

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in:

I'm a Verizon DSL subscriber in the Bahama area.  My current setup has
the DSL modem plugging straight into a RH7.3 machine doing NAT/routing,
running a web, mail, mysql, and ssh server, and I've had no problems.
No port blocking that I've noticed (compared to having had ports blocked
when I lived elsewhere and used TWC).  My IP has been remarkably stable,
surviving a few line and power outages over the past year without
changing, even though it's not a static IP.  In terms of reliability,
I've had very little problem with line outages or any other
connectivity-loss issue.
I cannot speak much for tech-support..  The only thing I particularly
remember is, a LONG time ago when we first signed up, the technician on
the phone referring to the DNS server IPs as "the DNS numbers," which
struck me as particularly non-technical for a so-called tech support person.
My only current woe is that my bottom-end residential class service
upstream speed (128k) is *slightly* too slow to stream MP3s to myself at
work. :-)

Cheers,
~Brian