[TriLUG] named.conf

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sat Mar 5 18:04:54 EST 2005

Steve Hoffman wrote:

>This is a question for all the bind experts out there.
>
>I have a working installation of bind that handles roughly 200
>domains.  with every restart of named /var/log/messages grows by
>nearly 500 lines...not a big deal, but makes reading the logs a pain
>in the butt.  I'd like to send the named logs to /var/log/named
>instead but haven't been able to do it yet.  I've RTFM and googled
>quite a bit, but neither has helped

First off, let me say that you're going about this the wrong way.  You
really shouldn't restart the server on any regular basis, *especially*
for a server with 200+ domains, which probably serves hundreds of
clients or more.  Presumably, you're doing a restart when you update
domains, or perhaps when you update named.conf.  This is bad because
when you restart the server, not only are you causing all of this
enormous load on the server, and filling the logs, but you're throwing
out the cache that's been built up by the server, which is the best
performance benefit for a DNS server.

So, to resolve your problem, when you make a configuration change to a
zone file, use `rndc reload example.com`, or if you're using views,
`rndc reload <domain> in <viewname>`.  If you make a configuration
change to named.conf, use `rndc reconfig`.  These much-less-intensive
commands will reload only the individual zone reference that you mean
to, or in the case of a reconfig, only things which have been changed in
the named.conf.

For details on the actual question you asked about, see Jon's
informative post.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner
BIND stickler extraordinaire  :)