[TriLUG] Throttling SFTP bandwidth

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Mon Mar 7 10:26:12 EST 2005

When we upload a release (>150M) to our server, the machine from which
the upload is initiated (RHEL clone) seems to hog all the bandwidth in
the office and prevents other machines from accessing the internet.

Is there a relatively easy way to throttle the SFTP process to limit
it's bandwidth consumption?  I know it's been discussed here before,
but all the solutions I recall required some fairly involved IP tables
work (and also had more complex requirements - such as throttling all
internet protocols, etc).

Any ideas?

FYI, the computer in question is on a Netgear switch behind two Linksys
routers - one provides our VPN and the other provides QOS for our IP
phones (seems to be working since phones worked ok).

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software