[TriLUG] aliasing cvsroots

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Mar 10 06:12:27 EST 2005

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 07:18, William Sutton wrote:
> I appreciate your taking a stab at it, but module aliasing would only work
> if the cvsroot was /cvs and foo/bar/baz were modules.  I already ran
> across that one and rejected it :)

Okay.  Then what you're saying doesn't make sense.  ;-)

> Unfortunately for me, foo/bar/baz are cvsroots, with modules beneath them.

If foo, bar, and baz are CVS repositories (that is, you set them up with
something like a cvs init "/cvs/foo" and each one has its own CVSROOT), then
neither "cvs" nor "foo" should show up when you check out a module from
/cvs/foo.  If /cvs/ is really the repository, then you'd have one CVSROOT,
and foo, bar, and baz are really modules in that repository.  In that case,
foo, bar, or baz would probably show up in the sandbox path when users
checkout, but the "cvs" will still not be part of the path.

> What we want, as far as the user is concerned, is for the /cvs portion of
> the path to disappear.

If there's a module called "src" under /cvs/foo, then I should be able to run
cvs -d /cvs/foo checkout src
The directory that this command will create is simply called src.  The cvs and
foo don't show up in my sandbox's path unless there's some funky module
aliasing going on.  I can also run
cvs -d /cvs/foo checkout -d MySource src
to get CVS to checkout the src module from /cvs/foo and put it in a directory
called MySource instead of a directory called src.  Maybe your users are
getting the two -d flags confused.  One is a global option, the other is a
checkout command option, and they do different things.  :-)

> I know we could do it by the simple expedient of putting foo/bar/baz in
> the / directory,

Yuck.  Don't do that.  :-)

> Besides which, our CVSNT server is able to keep them in c:\cvs_repository
> without "c:\cvs_repository" being part of the path, so it seems like this
> ought to be doable.

Certainly, but first we have to figure out what's actually going on.  Either
there's something else about your environment that you haven't mentioned,
I've misunderstood your configuration, or you're lying.  ;-)

----Tom