[TriLUG] need help with two problems

Dan Monjar dan at daijin.dissimulo.com
Wed Mar 16 20:27:09 EST 2005

I use Mandrake 10.1 on a Dell Latitude C640... I've got two little problems:

1.  When I shut the lid the machine stays on, doesn't hibernate.  When I
open the lid I can't get the system to come back.  Moving mouse, hitting
keys doesn't work.  The only thing I can do is press the power button.
This makes the system do an orderly shutdown.  This tells me it is still
alive, just unresponsive.  Why?

2.  I have a CD-RW/DVD drive.  I can watch DVD movies just fine.  But I
*always* have to manually create a soft link for my hardware device
(/dev/hdc) to the dvd device (/dev/dvd).  Why isn't it persistent?  I
suppose the boot process is dynamically creating the devices.  Why not
/dev/dvd?  Why does my soft link go away?  I could script the soft link
creation but then I'd be working for the machine. argh.