[TriLUG] need help with two problems

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Wed Mar 16 20:33:04 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:27:09PM -0500, Dan Monjar wrote:
> I use Mandrake 10.1 on a Dell Latitude C640... I've got two little problems:
[...]
> 2.  I have a CD-RW/DVD drive.  I can watch DVD movies just fine.  But I
> *always* have to manually create a soft link for my hardware device
> (/dev/hdc) to the dvd device (/dev/dvd).  Why isn't it persistent?  I

Presumably under Mandrake 10.1 that action is performed by udevd scripts;
in Debian and Ubuntu, /etc/udev/rules.d/cd-aliases.rules contains the
shell script (well, the symlink to a shell script in the parent
directory) that creates the correct /dev/dvd symlink.  Try looking in the
corresponding Mdk10.1 directory.

HTH,
Daniel Chen

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu