[TriLUG] legal question

Mack.Joseph at epamail.epa.gov Mack.Joseph at epamail.epa.gov
Wed Mar 23 11:03:03 EST 2005

Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualisation
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.john at epa.gov

trilug-bounces at trilug.org wrote on 03/23/2005 10:04:53 AM:

> a response might be take the job, do what's right,
> and defend yourself if the employer is idiotic enough
> to try to enforce.

There was a case in the last year or so where someone released
some GPL'ed code that they developed at home that had nothing
to do with their day job and the employer sued the programmer.
Presumably I read this in /. They employer was some big technical
shop (like HP). I believe the company didn't find out about the
code till after the programmer left the company, and the code was
started about 10yrs earlier.

So there are companies idiotic enough to sue, and it was costing
the developer time and money to defend himself

Joe