[TriLUG] Opera oddity

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Mar 23 15:02:52 EST 2005

Hi Guys,
   Every now and then, while perusing legitimately-maintained sites
(such as theregister.co.uk, or dansdata.com, as opposed to sketchy pr0n
or war3z sorts of sites), Opera will spawn a blank page and pop up the
following error message:

The address type is unknown or unsupported
fscommand:allowscale

"fscommand"??  What is that?  It's clearly caused by these web pages
(I've noticed it specifically at theregister and dansdata, and it is
sporadic).  It's a pain, because as long as the "source" page is
displayed, these blank pages continue to spawn every few seconds (for
example, as I've typed this message, so far I have dismissed about 20 of
these messages [and closed their related blank pages]).

My first guess would be some sort of scripting incompatability, but I
would love to know more about it (and how to prevent it without fully
disabling all client-side scripting).

Thanks tons,
~Brian