RPMS? (was Re: [TriLUG] What's the Fairest Distro of All?)

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:21:08 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:57:33 -0500, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:
> So don't assume that "built from source" means
> "compatible with my system".

Alan,

I agree completely.  But, you'll note that what I was referring
to was "source based distributions".  Take a look at any gentoo
ebuild file or a grimoire in SourceMage Linux.  You'll see the
exact same thing you see in Debian or in any RPM source
file: patches and scripts to put it in standard places.

This is what a distribution defines: a set of conventions as
to how things will be installed, where they can put stuff,
how they interact.  If if didn't, it would be called Linux
>From Scratch and not as many people would do it.

Cheers,
Tanner
--