RPMS? (was Re: [TriLUG] What's the Fairest Distro of All?)

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 24 16:10:40 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 15:42 -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:17:49 -0500, Marc M <linuxr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) Can I just use any Fedora Core 3 packages I find for RHEL/CentOS 4?

> NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONONONONONONO!!!!

It's OK: I was going to let Marc slide on the "RPM's are RPM's" comment.
I'm trying to cut the folks some slack when they shoot low, just because
I pose a question that might appear on the surface to be a n00b
question, when in reality I'm polling the readership of the list for
their experiences: if I can't spend all day playing with distros, at
least I can ask others.

Didn't mean to leave Gentoo off the list: it's a refreshing retro-change
to get a modern distro that doesn't hold your hand and feed you sugar
cookies during the install. "apt" is an impressive package management
tool. Gentoo installs the way Debian, Slackware and RedHat all USED to
install. (Oops - did I say that out loud? :-)

I'm drawing two conclusions from the thread:
- that there may not be answers to the questions I posed, and
- there's no website with the kind of "grid" I'm looking for.

So now I hear the sound of "opportunity" calling...

JKB