[TriLUG] Wierd behaviour

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Mar 29 09:27:47 EST 2005

Folks,

I have been fighting this thing for the past day or so, and thought that
I would throw it out and see if anybody else has seen this.

It may appear only marginally on-topic, but I know that there is a vast
depth of knowledge and experience here, so am giving it a shot.

I don't know whether this is a Samba thing or W2K -- I lean toward the
latter.

When I came in yesterday morning, I was told that one of the machines
was "locked" and so they had turned off the power.  Further explanation
showed that the machine prompts for login and accepts that ( domain
login -- Samba PDC ) but after it shows the usual "processing..."
messages, the screen goes effectively blank -- just the background color
and nothing else seems to happen.

OK, so the machine is hosed, so to speak, except that I can log in
without any issues!  ( Incidentally, there are 4 W2K machines in this
network, all served by the same Samba PDC, and the other three are NOT
demonstrating this interesting quirk. )

The Samba log was complaining yesterday about Group membership, but I
think I cleared that up, and so the log appears very similar ( if not
identical ) between me and one of the other users.

I tried deleting both the Samba "profile" information and the local
copy, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Any bright ideas?

TIA,
Brian