[TriLUG] Wierd behaviour

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue Mar 29 09:50:30 EST 2005

On Tue, March 29, 2005 9:27 am, Brian McCullough said:

> Folks,
>
> I have been fighting this thing for the past day or so, and thought
> that
> I would throw it out and see if anybody else has seen this.
>
> It may appear only marginally on-topic, but I know that there is a
> vast
> depth of knowledge and experience here, so am giving it a shot.
>

> I don't know whether this is a Samba thing or W2K -- I lean toward the
> latter.
>

> When I came in yesterday morning, I was told that one of the machines
> was "locked" and so they had turned off the power.  Further
> explanation
> showed that the machine prompts for login and accepts that ( domain
> login -- Samba PDC ) but after it shows the usual "processing..."
> messages, the screen goes effectively blank -- just the background
> color
> and nothing else seems to happen.
>
> OK, so the machine is hosed, so to speak, except that I can log in
> without any issues!  ( Incidentally, there are 4 W2K machines in this
> network, all served by the same Samba PDC, and the other three are NOT
> demonstrating this interesting quirk. )
>
> The Samba log was complaining yesterday about Group membership, but I
> think I cleared that up, and so the log appears very similar ( if not
> identical ) between me and one of the other users.
>
> I tried deleting both the Samba "profile" information and the local
> copy, but that didn't seem to have any effect.
>

> Any bright ideas?
>

> TIA,
> Brian

Brian,

Are the following true?

1. There is nothing out of the ordinary in the w2k workstaions logs?
2. You can log in fine to the workstation only?  If so then it seem to
start pointing to a domain login problem. Otherwise I would trouble
shoot the workstation itself.
3. When the w2k box is locked up is it reachable from other machines
or is it completely wedged?
4. The problem is not user specific, ie: it happens for all users that
log onto that box?

5. Have you tried removing this workstation from the domain and rejoing?

6. Also you could turn the debug level up on the samba server to see
if anything is happening when that box log into the domain.

Matt