[TriLUG] Email Setup

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:52:32 EST 2005

On Mar 31, 2005 11:03 AM, Joseph Tate <dragonstrider at gmail.com> wrote:
> The only hole in the postfix/cyrus combination is the integration of
> spam filtering.  Spamassassin must pass through a python script in the
> handoff between postfix and cyrus.  There may be a way to plug in
> SIEVE, but with pure virtual users, there's no good way to do
> auto-learning.  Of course I'm also leaning towards spam filtering on
> the client rather than the server.  It seems like Thunderbird does a
> much better job with it's bayesian filtering than SA does, though I
> don't have any real numbers to back that up.

No, python isn't needed.  I'm running Postfix, Cyrus, and SA and I don't
use python at all with it.  I do, however, use amavisd-new, or more
accurately, amavisd-new with maia mailguard patches which both
lets you use SA and gives you a very nice web interface to SA that
would work well for virtual users.  The key is to use mail reinjection
with postfix to feed it to amavisd-new which runs SA and other checkers
(like clamav) and then gives it back to postfix.  This is all done using
SMTP.  Mail is then passed to Cyrus using LMTP which passes it
through sieve.

One nice thing, btw, that Maia Mailguard gives you is a _very_ _easy_
way to handle bayesian training.  The user can, through the web interface,
indicate what e-mails are spam and what's not and maia will take
care of feeding that back to SA for learning.  It also lets the user manage
individual white/black lists.

Cheers,
Tanner

--